Friday, April 17, 2009

Confessions of a potty training mom...

So we've been attempting to potty train our short one for about a year now. He is 3 years and 8 months old. My sister-in-law told me that potty training is HELL. She did not lie. We have tried everything with him! I have never met a more stubborn child in my life.

Yesterday, I realized he has a lot of bladder control and knows how to use it. He would pee a little bit in the potty, go dump it in the big potty, flush, go back to the little potty, pee some more, go back to the big potty, flush, do it all again... He did this 10 times! I wish I was kidding, but I'm not. I counted. So, I really think that he knows what to do, he just has absolutely no desire to do it.

So, after months of frustration and weeks of intense frustration, I have come to a conclusion. This kid has done everything at his own pace. And when he was ready to do something like walk or talk, he just did it. So, we're going to try and give him a little leway with this. Against every fiber of my being, we're going to put him in pull ups. I swore I would never do this because I think it's rediculous. But now, I realize that not everything works for every kid. Customize the training for the kid. He's got to do this at his own pace, just like everything else in his life so far. Heck, he has been reading since he was 2 1/2. So hopefully his own pace won't be that hard to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment